Tuesday 20 October 2009

Bob Geldof's Lost Daughter

It's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster at times over the last week. Getting a bit stressed, then realising there's not much I actually have left to do. Getting stupidly excited then realising I'll miss friends. Then being ecstatic I'm just about to do something I've always wanted to do since I was Bob Geldof's frustrated lost daughter of the 1980's.

Ok so I'm not doing aid work in Africa nut I've always wanted to something in International Development. I also don't have rose-tinted spectacles on about the patronising 'help' I'm going to be giving. International Development has come on a long since that approach (I should say Bob didn't have that approach either). It's now about partnership, working together and leaving behind a sustainable, long-lasting effect of your work that the organisation will have worked with you on and can continue to develop.

A couple of nights ago I spent half an hour chatting to C, a volunteer in Delhi via Skype. She very generously stayed up until 2am to chat to me. The reason that she had appeared online so late was that she'd had to source some water from her neighbours when there was a problem in her flat. C and I met on one of our prep courses at VSO. She went out in July and my placement offer came a bit later. I've been emailling H too in Orissa who was on the same course. Between the two of them I have tons of info about what life might be like for me over the next year.

Now matter how much I prep I do, I'm not going to be completely prepared. Best advice C gave me? Just let it go...

H's blog has been inspiring. Her life seems very much different from how mine will be. I'll be in a big city where I can get anything (though I won't be able to afford luxury goods like imported food). H and others in the state of Orissa have troubles getting hold of toilet paper. I say hats off to them and any VSO volunteer that is a couple of days from the nearest airport. On the VSO courses you get to meet these amazing people who have spent a few years working with rural tribes in Africa and are back for another stint. Humbling. What hardship will I have to face? No red wine. Big Deal!

I don't denigrate my placement. I'll still find it hard for different reasons. After the already comprehensive support I've received before I even get out there, I know it'll all be fine. So letting it all go now and just enjoying my last 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. enjoy your last few weeks of luxury. Make the most of good cheese, wine and nice bread. All I can get here is cheese spread (closest thing in UK is Dairylea), sweetened white sliced bread and lager. But I do have toilet paper supplies. For now!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh btw there is red wine here. not too steep either.
    i get you tho'
    it is really amazing when you meet people who have been laying down their lives in some strange locale.... humbling is the right word.

    ReplyDelete