Sunday 11 October 2009

VSO is go

I applied to do VSO after I saw an advert go out on an Interpreter's e-group. The minute I saw it I knew it was something I'd always wanted to do. It took me a month or so of soul-searching and a change in circumstances before I'd decided to go for it. One or two years out of the country isn't an easy decision to take.

I got offered a post in Kenya starting in July but this fell through due to miscommunication on the part of the charity. I was gutted. I'd been told one in ten placements fall through and it was something I was prepared for although obviously not happy about. With only 4 weeks before my flight had been due to leave I was itching to go somewhere so I booked a flight to Beijing and decided to take a jaunt round Asia.

It wasn't that long before I got two more placement offers: Indonesia and India. There was a hoohah over visas and some deliberation on my part but eventually I did some form filling whilst in Cambodia. By the time I'd got half way round Thailand I had a confirmation through from the employer in India.

This came at exactly the right time as I'd spent a week in Chiang Mai and had met up with two volunteers starting their placements. It was insightful to hear their stories and it only served to renew my enthusiasm and my commitment. How great then to have my confirmation only a few days later. My VSO placement adviser, John, had been amazing. He'd known of my previous disappointment and all communication whilst I was away was happily done by email with offer of a Skype conversation if I could tear myself away from having fun. He'd even offered to help with some of the form filling and chasing up of details from other members of staff.

So I returned to the UK at the start of September knowing I had a mere nine weeks to prepare. And now the story starts...

No comments:

Post a Comment