Wednesday 11 November 2009

Arrival and Orientation at the Indian Social Institute

We arrived at 2am at Delhi airport to a few beeping cars but it was fairly quiet other than that. I was surprised but then it was the middle of the night. We were collected by two VSO India office staff who were lovely and very welcoming. After dishing out bottles of water they bundled all of us bleary-eyed volunteers and our luggage into two cars. I sat in a child seat with another volunteer at the back. My first views of Delhi were out of the back of the car through a sunscreen.

My first impression of New Delhi was one of dust and construction. We were all told that with the Commonwealth games approaching in October 2010 the Metro was being extended along with many other building works. This was in keeping with what I had read in guide books that Delhi is under construction permanently.

On arrival at the Indian Social Institute, we were handed out towels, information packs and keys. We agreed between us to meet at a certain time for lunch as nobody was going to get up for breakfast. I didn't bother putting up the mosquito net as it was 4am and I literally fell into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment