Tuesday 10 November 2009

T5 and counting...

I had two other volunteer’s phone numbers who will be on the same flight. There should have been around 10 of us, some connecting from Dublin and Toronto. I was a bit concerned about terminal 5 and the fact I don't have any baggage insurance as it was too expensive for something that didn't cover valuables. Hmmph, was not going to pay up if the policy wasn't going to cover my camera and laptop.

I was dropped off at Heathrow by my parents. We left at 6am from Hertfordshire and still got stuck in the car park that is the M25. An hour early for check in, I bump into another volunteer I'd met a few weeks ago via contact on the VSO message boards. A family goodbye and I was through security. With an hour to go on the flight we had met with the Irish volunteer and another one from the UK. We had lots of conversations about what people packed and what we were likely to miss (the evidence will be on YouTube soon).

Whilst in the queue for boarding we met with another volunteer. The beauty of the two VSO prep courses at Harbourne Hall on the outskirts of Birmingham is you often meet at least one other person that has a placement and is on the same intake as you. So as soon as there were a few of us we were networking quickly. With two intakes every year for most countries it's likely you'll have companions for your in country training. We all have a month together and this is India's biggest cohort at 17 people so it should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment